Sunday, November 23, 2014

How to: Mesh Wreath

I LOVE wreaths!  They're beautiful, festive, and EXPENSIVE!  Well, this Christmas I decided I would make my own and save myself about $40.   I went to Hobby Lobby for my supplies of course.  I bought 3 rolls of red mesh (although I only needed 2 as it turns out), a wire wreath, and some festive ribbon.  All of these were 1/2 off at Hobby Lobby at the time, for a total of about $15.  I was a little nervous on how long it might take, or how difficult it might be; thankfully it turned out to be pretty simple.






The whole idea is to simply weave the mesh in between the wires on the wreath and then "poof" them out.

Here's what the technique looks like:
You continue this all around the wreath, while also "scrunching" them together to give the wreath a fuller look.  The mesh was a little difficult to work with, so I cut the rolls into three different parts to make it more manageable.  Here is my wreath after completing the red mesh:
The next step is to decide what additions to make to your wreath.  I found a great ribbon I liked at Hobby Lobby and reminded me of mints and candy canes.  I took the ribbon and just weaved it throughout the red until I was happy with the placement.  It took me a couple times to like it.  I also knew that I wanted a bow.  To make the bow, I made three loops on each side and put a staple in the middle for security.  Here's what I'm talking about:

Next, I cut another piece of ribbon to wrap around the center and tie a knot to give it the "bow" look.  Just flip the know to the back and pull the ends.  The last step it to cut the ends of the ribbon.  I decided I wanted the angled look.  You fold the ribbon in half and cut at an angle.  Here's the technique to achieve that:
Here's my finished wreath! (oh and my pink socks)  I also found a random wooden letter that I bought forever ago.  I decided to slap some hot glue on that baby and add it to the wreath.  I also attached my bow with hot glue as well.

I hope this tutorial helps!  I'm looking forward to putting my wreath on my door the second Thanksgiving is over! :)

XOXO
~A. Savvy Mom~



0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Design by Studio Mommy (© Copyright 2014)