Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Sweet Dreams & Me Time

Every mom wants and deserves some alone time at the end of the night.  Let’s face it - motherhood is HARD – an amazing blessing, but it is a lot of work.  Knowing I need a couple hours each night to spend some time with my husband, watch trashy reality TV, or bring out that junk food I've hidden from the kids; I have made bedtime a priority.  Not only is it good for me and my marriage, but I’m a firm believer in kids thriving with routine, and bedtime is a big part of that.  Here are some pointers for making your evening run smoothly:

1.       Start em’ young: That doesn't mean it isn't possible to start at any age, but the younger you start; the easier it will be.  I began sleep training within 6 months of age.  I used the book Baby Wise to guide me in teaching them self-soothing techniques.  Great read!  Buy it here

2.       Tell them the plan:  Regardless of age, start communicating your plan verbally.  “After bath, we are going to get pajamas, read books, and get into bed,” or whatever your routine might be.

3.       Follow through:  Kids will always test you.  My son says, “No night night.”  EVERY NIGHT.  Most kids will never ask to go to bed, but it’s your job as the parent to know what they need.  Stick to your plan.  It may take a few nights(or a week or 2) but stick to it.

4.       Know there will be setbacks:  I’m not sure if it’s the moon or my kids randomly choose to rebel, but there will be a week where one of my kids will battle me at bedtime.  It’s the most exhausting week, and it probably happens about 2-3 times a year.  Stand firm mama – it is a phase!

5.       Reward yourself!  Bask in the glory and make that first evening of peace and quiet all about you!  Paint your nails, eat the rest of their Halloween candy, watch Teen Mom, and enjoy this time.

XOXO
~A. Savvy Mom~

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Design by Studio Mommy (© Copyright 2014)