Wednesday, February 11, 2015

DIY Chore Chart

Getting a little help around the house is always nice - getting help without always having to ask and nag is even better!  That's been my goal with the chore chart for my daughter.  I'm hoping in the next couple years to add a chore chart for my son as well.

Here's the chore chart I made:



I found the magnetic board from Walmart for only $7.  I used Washi tape to divide up the board and I ordered the chore magnets from an Etsy shop called Useful buttons. There were so many chores to choose from, and I was very happy with the quality of them.

One challenge I've found in the chore chart is initial consistency.  I would find us doing great with the chores one day, and then having a crazy schedule the next day and it wouldn't get completed.  I didn't want to punish her for us not being home and not completing her chores because of that, so I decided to focus on positive reinforcement to encourage the chore chart.

I ordered custom business cards from VistaPrint for about $8.  I customized them to look like a punch card and I was very satisfied with the outcome.  For each day she completes her chores, she gets a punch.  After 10 punches she gets a reward.  The reward is usually something like a girls' night, a special snack, later bedtime, etc.


It certainly doesn't mean that chores happen everyday, or that she doesn't need reminding but it's a start and I think it'll keep getting better. 








0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Design by Studio Mommy (© Copyright 2014)